I wrote this 4 years ago! (Geez we looked good back then Keller)
Tim, you have walked by my side through the loss of both my parents, too many miscarriages to count, the raising of our three amazing kids, babies and Tweens and teens, planting a church and building a home. I love you more now than ever because our journey has taken us through the fire and though we are a little crusty and singed, we are burnt toast together! Always together!
Baby you rock my world! Happy 45!
10. Ex-tro-vert…for complete definition: refer to Tim Keller. This man is the Red Bull of relational Kool-Aid. His distinct insignia, a loud vibrant voice, can generally be heard in a large crowd or on a microphone. Tim has more friends than anyone I know, and yet somehow manages to make each one feel special, placing a high value on personal relationships. People energize Tim and he becomes more fully alive engaged in the social realm of humanity. It just isn’t a party until Keller arrives!
9. Sauce—Otherwise known as “Condiment Keller” or sometimes “Saucisaurous.” Keller is a sauce connoisseur, a guru of taste, a man who knows what he likes and will take an hour schooling a waitress to get it just right. There is no room in our fridge for food, thanks to the Costco sized vats of condiments. Think Sally, in the movie, “When Harry met Sally.” Get the picture?
8. Style—though fatherhood, marriage and church planting may have added a tad more conservative tone to the Tim Keller ensemble, the dude still has panache. From the ocean view bachelor pad, closets full of hip clothes, to the blue convertible caddy, wicked cool sunglasses, passport full of exotic stamps, retro decor, and the fact that he only dates hot models (past tense), Keller is suave incarnate. When he walks down the street, you can hear the James Bond theme song playing in the background. Who else could carry off a man bag with such“je ne sais quoi” bravado?
7. Club Music—from the underground of the Seattle scene, Keller emerged as a pastor who likes techno, trance and house. Imagine waking up every morning to thumping base and complex rhythms repeated over and over and over. Now this may sound like a non-sequitur…pastor and club music, but Keller manages to pull it off with unique flair, completely confidant in his individuality and discerning taste.
6. Die-hard Mariners Fan—this man is loyal. Clearly, the worst team in Major League Baseball will not detract him. He knows every player, stat, and RBI in the history of the Mariners program. He even flew back to Seattle five days before our wedding for the opening game of the season. Most grooms are fretting over the last-minute details…but Tim knows that without his presence the Mariners might not win, I mean lose again.
5. Eagle Scout—Tim actually earned this esteemed Boy Scout honor. And, as an adult, it plays out in his high-capacity to find solutions. He a “get it done” type of guy and a great person to have around if you get lost in the woods and need to fight off a violent posse of raccoons.
4. Poker Shark—Someday the World Series of Poker will bow before the kneel…that is, Keller will show the world who’s the real Ace!
3. Fun—We like to say that Pastor Keller puts the fun in funeral and the first two letters in FUN!
2. Tim is a is Hero– Only a man called by God would take on the burden and care of a single mom with two little kids, and then love them…truly love them like they are his own. His hair might be a little grey from all the stress, but his heart, oh…his heart grows bigger daily, especially now that baby can say, “Hi Daddy” and claps when he walks in the room.
1. A Great Pastor to Many—Tim is humble, authentic, committed to His Lord, and has a true minister’s heart. As a caring shepherd to his Mission Viejo flock, he creates an environment of celebration and acceptance. He is a lover of God’s people and an inspiration to those around him. He carries the heart of our church in his pocket and we, the church, carry Tim in ours.
Love, your adoring wife, studly son, beautiful daughter, and pretty baby.